Review- Reclaiming Conversation

     There is hope to getting back the art of conversation, but it will require thoughtful and intended purpose. Many young people do appreciate being gathered together with their friends in person, but they also tend to reach for their phones when they are bored or feel they are not required to add to the conversations at hand.
     This book discusses studies that have shown that the ability to empathize is being lost when people do not  experience the repercussions of their texts in person and this is leading to a culture of people who do not appreciate the value of face to face conversations. Too often, texted conversations are those that have been thought out meticulously and maybe even often proof-read by a friend. How is this honest communication between two people? 
     The author interviews people between the ages of 18- 35, ( those who have grown up with cell phones), and discovers that mobile devices are definitely a tool that people are using to converse with others and to create relationships. The author also explains why this new way of communicating is hurting our ability to relate in the way that humans best relate...... which is, face to face conversation. 
     The overall message from the author is that humans need direct face to face conversations in order to learn empathy. When one is aware of how mobile devices are hurting this important human need, one can begin to make more of an effort to put the phone down and make arrangements to be with friends and family in person. 
     I completely agree with this author and have been guilty of all of the things these younger people do when in the company of their friends and family. I can see how people defer to the easy way out and avoid emotional conflicts by reverting to texting when in fact a face to face conversation should be mandatory.
   

Comments

  1. Your book sounds like one I would enjoy reading! It reminds me of my childhood when my parents would not allow the family television to be on during dinner. This was the time that my family would talk about their days. My parents talked about the going ons at their work locations and would ask my brothers and me about our days at school. I can remember an occasion in college that a friend wanted to know how I knew so much about many different topics. My response was that I learned a lot during my dinner conversations with my family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, the topic of your book is timely. It seems with online learning and the demand to communicate using technology we are all, once again, shifting our ideas of technology. Hopefully, it becomes more apparent to teachers and parents that our students do not know how to use technology for learning. Social interaction, yes. I am wondering what your author says about the instantaneous gratification of text responses or "Likes"? I would like to intentionally incorporate that feeling that keeps us all reaching for our devises into the technology and online lessons I create for students as well as PD for my staff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would agree with your general takeaway from this text. It's a great read and very fitting in this current day and age. My question as educators, is how do we promote ongoing conversational skills within our students during the Covid-19 pandemic? My only thought is to require student participation during synchronous class in small groups with their cameras and microphones on so they can have a "Normal" conversation.

    -Austin Isaac

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Final Thoughts- Our General Lack of Empathy and Cell Phone Use

Mobile Devices - Are they replacing humans?